Sac Sheriff

Live Scan FAQs

All applicant Live Scan sites are by appointment only.
Please use the link on the Live Scan Unit Page to schedule your Live Scan appointment.

What is Live Scan?

Live Scan is the technology used for taking electronic fingerprints for criminal background checks that are required for employment, licensing, or securing a role that places a person in a position of trust.

What do I bring to the Live Scan office?

You must bring the following items with you to the LiveScan office:

1. A valid and current in-state or out-of-state driver’s license, or a California DMV Identification Card, and

2. Your completed Request for Live Scan Service form provided by the requesting agency.

What type of ID is required?

Valid Photo Identification
The California Department of Justice (DOJ) requires Live Scan Operators to accept only current, valid, and unexpired picture identification as the primary identification.

Primary Forms of Identification
Acceptable Primary forms of photo identification include any of the following:

  • State-issued driver’s license*
  • U.S. Passport or U. S Passport Card
  • Federal Government Personal Identity Verification Card (PIV)
  • Uniformed Services Identification Card
  • Department of Defense Common Access Card
  • Foreign Passport with Appropriate Immigration Document(s) (e.g., Form I-94)
  • USCIS – Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
  • USCIS – Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • Federal, state, or local government agency ID card with photograph
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Canadian driver’s license

* For those applicants without a license, a state identification card may be presented if the state identification card standards are the same as for the driver’s license.

    Secondary Forms of Identification
    In the absence of a primary form of identification, an applicant shall provide at least two of the following forms of secondary identification AND at least two additional forms of the supporting documentation that follows:
  • State Government Issued Certificate of Birth
  • U.S. Tribal or Bureau of Indian Affairs Identification Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Social Security Card
  • Court Order for Name Change/Gender Change/Adoption/ Divorce
  • Marriage Certificate (Government Certificate Issued)
  • U.S. Government Issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Draft record
  • School ID with photograph (minimum age 7 years old, or transaction will be rejected by DOJ) *
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N560)
  • Replacement Certificate of Citizenship (N-561)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N550)
  • Replacement Certificate of Naturalization (N-570)
    Supporting Documentation for Secondary Forms of Identification NOTE: When validating the authenticity of secondary forms of identification, the information must be supported by at least two of the following supplemental documents:
  • Utility Bill (Address)
  • Jurisdictional Voter Registration Card
  • Vehicle Registration Card/Title
  • Paycheck Stub with Name/Address*
  • Jurisdictional Public Assistance Card
  • Spouse/Parent Affidavit

* Financial information may be redacted by the individual
* If parent or guardian is vouching for student, enter the form of ID shown by parent or guardian only on the live scan fingerprinting log your agency keeps. DO NOT enter the ID number into the student’s live scan transaction.

What type of ID is required for someone under the age of 16?

If the applicant is under the age of 16 and does not have an acceptable primary form of photo identification, a birth certificate must be provided as well as being accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who is in possession of an acceptable primary form of photo identification.

Please be advised that although the Department of Justice (DOJ) accepts alternate forms of identification, California state law requires individuals 18 years and older have a state issued driver’s license or identification card. You could be turned away and instructed to return with documentation issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

What is the Live Scan process?

The Live Scan Officer will verify the information on the completed Live Scan service forms provided by the requesting agency and verify that you have the proper identification. You will pay any required fees, then the Officer will place your hands on the Live Scan machine, which electronically captures your fingerprints. The applicant’s biographical data and fingerprint images will immediately transmit electronically to the Department of Justice.

What are the locations and hours of Live Scan?

Central Division- Community Service Center South County
7000 65th Street, Sacramento, CA 95823 (located at Florin & 65th)
Monday - Friday (excluding holidays)
Appointments are scheduled 9:00 AM - 4:40 PM

North County
2101 Hurley Way, Sacramento, CA 95825 (located at Howe & Hurley)
Monday - Friday (excluding holidays)
Appointments are scheduled 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM
Office is closed from 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM

East County
2897 Kilgore Road, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670 (located between Trade Center & Sun Center)
Days: Monday – Friday (excluding holidays)
Appointments are scheduled 9:00 AM - 4:40 PM

What days of the week is Live Scan open?

Live Scan is open Monday-Friday and closed weekends and all holidays.

Can I schedule an appointment for Live Scan fingerprints?

Live Scans are by appointment only. Click on the link to go directly to the scheduling page or you can call 916-874-4343 to schedule an appointment. Live Scan no longer accepts walk-in customers.

What is the Cost of a Live Scan?

The kind and number of services provided determine the fees charged. See Basic Fees below. Information about fees for other services is available at the Live Scan service center.

Basic Fees
Sheriff’s Office LiveScan Service Fee $42
DOJ Fee $32
FBI Fee $15 for volunteer applications; $17 for employee applications
(Not all Live Scan fees are listed. Additional fees are subject to services provided)

What forms of payment are accepted?

If the applicant has to pay a fee, we accept these forms of payment:

  • Visa
  • MasterCard
  • American Express
  • Discover
  • Debit Card
  • Visa/Master Card Logo
  • Money Orders
  • Cashier Check
  • No Cash or Personal Checks Accepted

There is a $2.50 service fee per transaction for using a debit or credit card.

The person whose name is on the payment card must be present with a valid photo ID.

Do I need to remove jewelry before my Live Scan?

You cannot have jewelry on hands or wrists during a Live Scan. Jewelry, like rings and bracelets, don’t allow for a complete picture of fingerprints and can scratch the glass of the machine. If you wear jewelry, you will be asked to remove it before imaging.

Can I still have fingerprints taken if I am missing fingers, or have calloused or scarred hands?

Yes. Fingerprints can still be taken if you are missing fingers or have calloused or scarred hands. The Live Scan Officer will make a note on your report describing the reason for not taking prints of a specific area.

Where do I go if I need ink fingerprints taken?

The volunteers at the Central Division Service Center will process two ink fingerprint cards for a cash donation. Please call ahead to confirm the availability of this service.

I received fingerprint cards. Do I need to have ink prints taken?

Some schools or employers provide fingerprint cards but electronic prints may be accepted on these cards. Other schools and employers want inked fingerprints taken. Confirm with the organization what type of prints they require and accept. The East Division/Rancho Cordova Service Center and the South/Central Division Service Center are the only locations that can take electronic fingerprints then transfer them to the fingerprint cards. The fee for two fingerprint cards is $42.00. Additional fingerprint cards will require you to make a separate appointment.

East County
2897 Kilgore Road, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670 (located between Trade Center & Sun Center)
Monday – Friday (excluding holidays)
Appointments are scheduled 9:00 AM - 4:40 PM

South County
7000 65th Street, Sacramento,CA 95823 (located at Florin & 65th)
Monday – Friday (excluding holidays)
Appointments are scheduled 9:00 AM - 4:40 PM

Live Scan Special Business Licensing

Certain types of businesses require a “special business license”. When you apply for a business license, the county process will determine if this is required.

Where do I go for a Special Business License Live Scan?

Special Business Licensing
4510 Orange Grove Avenue - Walk-Ins Accepted, Sacramento, CA 95841
Monday – Friday (excluding holidays)
Walk-In Appointments are scheduled 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM

Does the Special Business Licensing Live Scan office offer any other Services?

Yes, they also provide the following Services:
Arson Registration
Gang Registration
The Live Scan site at 4510 Orange Grove DOES NOT OFFER APPLICANT LIVE SCAN SERVICES. Refer to the Sheriff’s Office Live Scan location information section.

Do I need to provide any documentation when I visit the Business Licensing Live Scan office?

You will need to provide the Officer with your Business License application number that you received from the Sacramento County Business Licensing office. We cannot process your Live Scan without this number.

Do I need to disclose any criminal history?

You will be asked to write down all of your criminal history, even if your record has been expunged. Failure to disclose all of your criminal history may result in denial of your application.

What are the Special Business License Live Scan fees?

The standard fee for the Live Scan is $32.00 for the first person and $74.00 for each additional person.
The fee for Taxi Drivers is $74.00 per person.

Do I need to provide any information about my employees?

You will be asked if you currently have employees and how many but you do not need to provide any names or information about the individual employee(s).

Do I have to disclose what items I will be selling at my business?

Yes, you will be asked if you plan to sell any items through your business and what those items will be.

Will I be photographed for my Special Business License?

Yes, everyone who applies for a Special Business License is photographed when they come to the Sheriff’s Office for their Live Scan.

What type of ID is required for a Special Business License Live Scan?

You must have a valid state driver’s license or valid CA DMV Identification card. No other ID is accepted.

How long does it take to receive my Special Business License in the Mail?

The processing time for your business license is 30-90 days.

Can I work under my business license before I am notified it is approved?

No, you cannot work until you receive confirmation from the Sheriff’s Office that your license is approved.

Who do I contact if I have questions about my Business License?

For questions about your business license, contact the Sacramento County Business License Office.

How do I apply for a Business License?

Sacramento County Business License information.

Where do I go for a Mugshot, DNA Collection or to Register for Arson or Gangs?

4510 Orange Grove Ave - Walk-Ins Accepted
Sacramento CA 95841
Monday - Friday (excluding Holidays)
Walk-In Appointments are scheduled 8:00 AM – 3:30 PM

Do I need an appointment for a Mugshot, DNA Collection or Registration?

No, these services are performed by walk in only.

Do I need to provide any documentation when I come into the office for a Mugshot or to have DNA taken?

Yes, you will need to bring a printed copy of the completed referral form from the requesting agency.

I have a Misdemeanor Citation, now what?

For Misdemeanor citations call to verify your citation has been processed before coming into the office at 916-874-8076. You will also need to bring your citation with you and a valid picture ID for processing.

How do I know what Law Enforcement agency to register with?

PC 186.30 Gang Registrants and PC 457.1 Arson Registrants must reside within the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office Jurisdiction or the Rancho Cordova Police Departments jurisdiction to register at this location. All others must register with the Law Enforcement agency whose jurisdiction they reside in.

Click here for the Live Scan Appointment System

Contact Us





TDD Non-Emergency


Need To Report A Crime?

Use the Sacramento Sheriff’s Office online system to submit a report for some types of crimes occurring in unincorporated Sacramento County and Rancho Cordova. A valid email address is required.

Report a crime at anytime with our convienient app. Click below to learn more.